Control the flow of fluid using the flow of electrons! This liquid valve would make a great addition to your robotic gardening project. There are two 1/2" (Nominal non-taped National Pipe) outlets. Normally, the valve is closed. When 12VDC is applied to the two terminals, the valve opens and water can push through. The valve has a gasket arrangement inside, so there is a minimum pressure requirement of 0.02 Mpa (3 PSI). Also, liquid can only flow one direction.
Solenoids at various DC voltages were tested, and it was found that it could be actuated down at 6VDC (although it was a little slower to open). Here is the current draw table for various voltages. We suggest a TIP120 or N-Channel power FET with a 1N4001 kickback diode to drive this from a microcontroller pin. For a power supply, a 9V 1A or 12V 1A power adapters will be the best choices.
These solenoids are not rated for food safety or use with anything but water.
- 1/2" Nominal NPS
- Working Pressure: 0.02 Mpa - 0.8 Mpa
- Working Temperature: 1 ℃ - 75 ℃
- Response time (open): ≤ 0.15 sec
- Response time (close): ≤ 0.3 sec
- Actuating voltage: 12VDC (but we found it would work down to 6V)
- Actuating life: ≥ 50 million cycles
- Weight: 4.3 oz
- Dimensions: 3.3" x 1.69" x 2.24"
- A voltage/current guide:
Voltage Current 6V 160 mA 7V 190 mA 8V 220 mA 9V 240 mA 10V 270 mA 11V 300 mA 12V 320 mA