Trinket is a tiny microcontroller board, built around the Atmel ATtiny85, a little chip with a lot of power. We wanted to design a microcontroller board that was small enough to fit into any project, and low cost enough to use without hesitation. Perfect for when you don't want to give up your expensive dev-board and you aren't willing to take apart the project you worked so hard to design. It's our lowest-cost arduino-IDE programmable board.
The Attiny85 is a fun processor because despite being so small, it has 8K of flash, and 5 I/O pins, including analog inputs and PWM 'analog' outputs. This trinket was designed with a USB bootloader so you can plug it into any computer and reprogram it over a USB port just like an Arduino. In fact Adafruit even made simple modifications to the Arduino IDE so that it works like a mini-Arduino board. You can't stack a big shield on it but for many small & simple projects the Trinket will be your go-to platform.
Even though you can program Trinket using the Arduino IDE, it's not a fully 100% Arduino-compatible. There are some things you trade off for such a small and low cost microcontroller!
- • Trinket does not have a Serial port connection for debugging so the serial port monitor will not be able to send/receive data
- • Some computers' USB v3 ports don't recognize the Trinket's bootloader. Simply use a USB v2 port or a USB hub in between
- 512 byte of SRAM, 512 bytes of EEPROM
- Internal oscillator runs at 8MHz, but can be doubled in software for 16MHz
- On-board 3.3V or 5.0V power regulator with 150mA output capability and ultra-low dropout. Up to 16V input, reverse-polarity protection, thermal and current-limit protection.
- On-board green power LED and red pin #1 LED
- Reset button for entering the bootloader or restarting the program
- 5 GPIO - 2 shared with the USB interface. The 3 independent IO pins have 1 analog input and 2 PWM output as well. The 2 shared IO pins have 2 more analog inputs and one more PWM output.
- Hardware I2C / SPI capability for breakout & sensor interfacing.
- Dimensions: 1.2" x 0.6" x 0.2" / 31mm x 15.5 x 5mm
- Weight (no headers): 1.85 grams