Love the wearable electronic platform - FLORA but want a smaller version? Look no further, GEMMA is a tiny wearable platform board in a 1" diameter package. Powered by a Attiny85 and programmable with an Arduino IDE over USB, you'll be able to realize any wearable project.
This microcontroller board is small enough to fit into any project, and low cost enough to use without hesitation. Perfect for when you don't want to give up your FLORA and you aren't willing to take apart the project you worked so hard to design. It's our lowest-cost sewable controller.
Even though you can program GEMMA using the Arduino IDE, it's not a fully 100% Arduino-compatible. There are some things you trade off for such a small and low cost microcontroller.
- GEMMA does not have a Serial port connection for debugging so the serial port monitor will not be able to send/receive data
- Some computers' USB v3 ports don't recognize the GEMMAs bootloader. Simply use a USB v2 port or a USB hub in between
- 8K of flash
- 5 I/O pins
- A USB bootloader so you can plug it into any computer and reprogram it over a USB port just like an Arduino
- Green power LED and red pin #1 LED
- 1.1" / 28mm diameter and 0.28" / 7mm thick.
- Easy-to-sew or solder pads for embedding in your wearable project
- 8K of flash, 512 byte of SRAM, 512 bytes of EEPROM
- Internal oscillator runs at 8MHz
- draws 9 mA while running
- Micro-USB jack for power and/or USB uploading
- ~5.25K bytes available for use
- On-board 3.3V power regulator with 150mA output capability and ultra-low dropout.
- Up to 16V input, reverse-polarity protection, thermal and current-limit protection
- Reset button for entering the bootloader or restarting the program.
- Hardware I2C capability for breakout & sensor interfacing.
- For more information about GEMMA, check our this guide
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, firmware, Fritzing object and more available in the product tutorial
Unsure whether you should use the GEMMA or the FLORA for your next wearable project? Watch this video to help make the decision: