For microcontrollers without an analog-to-digital converter or when you want a higher-precision ADC, the ADS1115 provides 16-bit precision at 860 samples/second over I2C. The chip can be configured as 4 single-ended input channels, or two differential channels.
The chip's fairly small so it comes on a breakout board with ferrites to keep the AVDD and AGND quiet. Interfacing is done via I2C. The address can be changed to one of four options (see the datasheet table 5) so you can have up to 4 ADS1115's connected on a single 2-wire I2C bus for 16 single ended inputs.
- Programmable gain amplifier
- Wide supply range: 2.0V to 5.5V
- Low current Consumption: Continuous Mode: Only 150µA Single-Shot Mode: Auto Shut-Down
- Programmable data rate: 8SPS to 860SPS
- Internal low-drift voltage reference
- Internal oscillator
- Internal PGA
- I2C interface: Pin-Selectable Addresses
- Four single-ended OR two differential inputs
- Programmable Comparator
- This board/chip uses I2C 7-bit addresses between 0x48-0x4B, selectable with jumpers